WHAT'S THE DEAL?Cleansers are important. They contain surfactants, which are responsible for making dirt, oils, and bacteria we accumulate through the day water-soluble, and hence enabling us to wash all that gunk off of our skin.
However, extended use of a wrong cleanser with harsh surfactants can unnecessarily dry out the skin and can even damage its natural moisture barrier, making it harder for skin cells to protect themselves from external environmental factors (i.e. bacteria and microorganisms) and retain moisture.
TYPE OF THE SURFACTANT
There are 4 major classes of surfactants based on their molecular charge or the lack of thereof:
- anionic (negative charge)
- cationic (positive charge)
- amphoteric (charges changes depending on the pH of the formula)
- nonionic (no charge)
The type and amount of surfactant in a cleansing agent have a bearing on its drying and irritancy potential.
Studies show that amphoteric and nonionic surfactants are less likely to irritate the skin and damage it, while being just as effective at liquifying fats and dirt as cationic and anionic surfactants.
PH OF THE SURFACTANT
The normal pH of the skin is within an acidic range, with estimates ranging from 4.0 to 6.5. To maintain skin’s health it is important to use a cleanser that does not exceed out of this range too much. Studies identify that high pH levels can potentially lead to damaging intercellular lipids, which, in return, compromises skin’s natural moisture barrier.
SO WHAT ABOUT OUR MATCHA HEMP HYDRATING CLEANSER
This cleanser strikes the perfect balance between washing off the dirt while preserving your natural moisture barrier.
- It contains nonionic and/or amphoteric surfactants
- Coco-betaine (amphoteric), Quillaja Saponaria Bark Extract (nonionic), Coco-glucoside (nonionic), Decyl Glucoside (nonionic), Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate (anionic)
- It has a pH that is close to skin’s natural pH (~ 4.0-6.5)
- The Matcha Hemp Hydrating Cleanser’s pH is estimated at 5.0-6.0, batches may vary! ✨
Hi liah , this cleanser and toner both r amazing …… I fill soo much improvement in my skin berier. Thanks.😊🌸
Prasi June 11, 2018