A little about us:
Hey! If we haven’t met, we’re KraveBeauty. We are a fast-growing D2C skincare brand operating out of both offices from NYC and Seoul. We’re a brand created by beauty influencer Liah Yoo and a team of people who are interested in making the industry more human—for our people and the planet. We aspire to be a skincare company that dares to care beyond skincare. And we are here to #PressReset on the industry norms.
About this position:
This is a part-time creative director position that requires 2 to 3 days a week commitment. The position must be New York City area based or the candidate must be able to relocate when needed. The position works closely and reports to the Marketing Director and on a need basis, to the CEO.
Your Role at KraveBeauty
We want to set our expectations straight. This position is one of the key hires KraveBeauty would ever make. Before you apply, truly think about if you resonate with our mission. It will be the hardest job if you don’t, but it would be the most rewarding and fulfilling experience if you do.
A little list of things that motivates us to do our job.
- We are interested doing well by doing good
- We want to slow down the beauty industry. Skincare has become a lot like fast-fashion
- We want to make sure the space is as inclusive as possible by normalizing normals
- The beauty industry has operated on maximizing profits at the expense of excluding people and harming the environment. Clean beauty, non-toxic beauty, euro-centric beauty standards, 20 step skincare routine, etc.-- all have a common theme to sell more products. We’re interested in reinventing how we do capitalism moving forward
- We don’t want to grow by creating unnecessary demands. We think it’s more on brand for us to sell 1 product to 10 people rather than selling 10 products to 1 person.
- We want our community to challenge the status quo, become that bad citizen to be a dutiful human
Ideally, you’re a great problem solver. You use your creativity to reset the norms of the beauty industry and you seek to identify + solve industry problems in the most compelling manner. You do it by telling a great story by sometimes revealing things that haven’t been spoken and inspiring people to care beyond their skin. Basically, our visuals need to communicate who we are and why we’re here. And your job is to make our community want to join our why. There needs to be a substance in every visual content we produce that almost crushes the digital platforms’ algorithm and there needs to be a new way of creating things internally.
Are you a black sheep? Welcome. We respect your experience and expertise, but in order to reinvent things, we sometimes need to unlearn things from the past and set up what’s right for us. Have your ideas got shut down because it doesn’t necessarily sell products or are too ballsy? We think you might have a place to expand your crazy dreams here.
If you still want a bulleted list of job expectations, we’re glad to provide that, too! See below.
- Define and develop our strategic creative direction that cuts through the noise in the digital space
- Build and support the in-house creative team to accomplish KraveBeauty’s business objectives
- Work closely with the Marketing Director to plan, create, and conceptualize marketing campaigns and content that is on brand
- Define and develop the creative fundamentals of the brand with clear vision and guidelines that cater a range of consumers, especially gen Z
- Ensure designs and content consistently and positively reflect the brand image and company ideals throughout various customer touch points
- 5-12 years of professional experience as a creative
- 3+ years as a creative director and/or managing a creative team
- Past experience creating integrated content across multiple marketing channels from digital, social media, paid media, mobile, and also offline and print
- Strong proven ability to empathize with and understand the consumer
- Passionate about building a challenger brand towards iconic status
- History of problem solving and bringing innovative solutions
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and storytelling skills (incl. the ability to communicate effectively in small and large groups, both internally and externally)
- A portfolio of work that has driven consumer behavior through strong insights, brave decisions, and innovative execution, preferably experience with digitally-native brands
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of KraveBeauty not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, benefits, layoff, and termination.