Product Development Director (NYC)
About this position:
As the Product Development Director of KraveBeauty, you will play a pivotal role in bringing new beauty and wellness products to life. We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced individual with a passion for the beauty industry. You will work closely with the Founder/CEO & General Manager in all new product development (from ideation to launch) along with managing our current product portfolio. We are seeking someone that not only has a deep understanding of product development, but also is sustainability-minded and is craving for an opportunity to create a positive impact in the industry.
Your Role & Responsibilities at KraveBeauty:
- New Product Development:
- Develop and execute a comprehensive 3 year product development strategy that aligns with the Company’s mission and vision.
- Lead all phases of new product development, from concept to launch, including ideation, market research, concept development, design, and commercialization.
- Conduct comprehensive market research to identify emerging trends, analyze competitor products, and extract valuable consumer insights to inform new product concepts.
- Collaborate closely with our CEO and marketing to drive product innovation that align with market trends, customer preferences, and our brand identity.
- Identify and establish partnerships with new suppliers and contract manufacturers to source innovative ingredients, formulations, and technologies that align with our brand's product development mission and values.
- Work in tandem with the supply chain and operations team to oversee project management and timelines, ensuring timely product launches and mitigating potential risks and delays throughout the NPD process.
- Partner effectively with cross-functional teams, leading communication regarding product briefs, formula feedback, packaging, copy and claims, artwork, and regulatory requirements.
- Oversee and conduct consumer focus groups and testing, utilizing insights to enhance and guide the product development process.
- Develop and manage packaging briefs that encompass material specifications, volume requirements, cost of goods sold (COGs), and timeline expectations.
- Collaborate closely with the creative team on packaging design elements to ensure alignment with technical drawings, packaging materials, formula considerations, and brand aesthetics.
- Maintain precise and organized records throughout all product development stages, including detailed formulation information, testing results, and supplier communications.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with suppliers, negotiate terms, source materials, and coordinate the production process.
- Current Product Assortment:
- Ensure that all testing, compliance, and quality control standards are met for all product batches, and manage the collection of necessary documentation.
- Continually seek ways to enhance the efficacy of our current products and explore opportunities for sustainability improvements in packaging and formulation.
- Collaborate across functions to identify potential cost-saving opportunities within the cost of goods sold (COGS).
- Stay up-to-date on industry regulations and ensure that all products comply with relevant standards and regulations.
- Foster a culture of innovation within the product development team encouraging creative thinking and experimentation.
- Lead and mentor a PD associate, providing guidance, support, and opportunities for growth.
What we crave from you:
Personal traits (does this sound like you?)
- You’re a critical thinker, and highly curious in finding solutions
- People describe you as logical, pragmatic and a good problem solver
- You’re a highly organized project manager, keeping every party accountable for their responsibilities and deadline
- You have the ability to balance competing priorities and manage multiple processes at the same time
- You’re collaborative, you go into a project with a teamwork mindset and are open to new ideas and welcome constructive feedback from others
- You have a growth mindset and are always exploring new ways to grow bigger and better
- You are truly passionate about the beauty industry
- You understand the mission of KraveBeauty deeply and have a desire to build something that matters
- You personally believe in doing well by doing good
Technical but important stuff
- 6+ years of previous product development experience in the beauty & wellness industry, preferably in a startup environment
- 2+ years of managerial experience
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Cosmetic Science, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry or Green Chemistry preferred
- Strong understanding of skin, color, and supplement product formulations, ingredients, and trends
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements and industry standards for cosmetics and skincare products.
- Experience with managing contract manufacturers and supplier relationships
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Must be based in NYC
The annual salary range for this role is $130,000 - $150,000 in addition to bonus potential, a 401(k) match, health benefits, paid time off and more. The final salary will be determined based on a variety of factors, including the individual's experience and qualifications
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) Employer. It has been and will continue to be a fundamental policy of KraveBeauty not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity, pregnancy, marital status, partnership status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, veteran or military status, disability, medical condition, genetic information, caregiver status, unemployment status or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state and/or local laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotion, demotion, compensation, training, working conditions, transfer, job assignment, benefits, layoff, and termination.